Mike Fenton is a certified health coach who inspires, empowers & helps people create desired lifestyle changes using the teachings of: “Total Wellness” when mind, body & soul all come together as one in good health.
”Total Wellness” – Part 1 – The Mind
By Mike Fenton
Heart & Soul Health Coaching
The brain is the control center of the body. Your hand does not move because it suddenly decided to move. It moves when it receives a signal from your brain. In fact, if your hand, foot or any other body part starts functioning independently of the brain, something is terribly wrong. What the brain is to the body, the mind is to the soul. It is the control center, so that is where the battle is being waged. If Satan wins your mind, he can control your actions. Perhaps this is why we see folks that appear to be in the best physical condition doing the most unimaginable things.The daily paper or the evening news gives us testament to that.
Our mind also controls our diet: what we eat, when we eat and even, if we eat. If we do not support a healthy mind we may turn to food as a way to appease ourselves and remove us from a state we no longer want to be in. Or we may look in the mirror and in our mind feel uncomfortable with the way we look (most likely feeling overweight) and not eat at all.
The mind also processes life’s events and ultimately how we respond to them. Our eyes see a car coming down the road, our mind processes that and tells us we need to get out of the way. On a deeper level the mind can determine how we respond emotionally. Did we:
- Get stressed out?
- Did we become depressed?
- Did we become angry?
- Did it make us happy?
- Did we become sad?
The state (health) of our mind plays a big part in which way we respond, perhaps with stress being the worst of the preceding 5 questions. That is because stress much of the time leads to depression, makes us angry and or sad. Stress is also said to:
- Fuel cancer
- Shrink the brain
- Prematurely age kids
- Can affect the genes of offspring’s
- Spur depressive symptoms
- Increase the risk of chronic disease
- Raise the risk of stroke
- Not good for our heart
- Makes colds worse
- Can affect cancer outcomes
Source – Huffington Post 2/4/13
My good friend Ann Musico @3D_Vitality recently reported in one of her newsletters “It’s been well documented that as much as 95% of all disease and illness originates from stress”. See article at http://p0.vresp.com/hg7HJh WOW! Houston we have a problem!
I believe it is easy to see why we want a healthy mind and the importance it plays in our “Total Wellness”. Both physically and mentally.
So what can we do about stress and how can we avoid it?
- You can begin by asking yourself when you are starting to feel stressed, is this something that I really need to get myself “worked-up” over?
- Live life with the attitude that what has happened in the past is in the past, what can I do to prevent this from happening to me again in the future? Once you have decided how to prevent this from happening to you again in the future give kudos to yourself for preventing this from happening again.
- Exercise is a really good way to “work-off” stress, even going for a short walk can be very therapeutic.
- Meditation, practicing meditation can be a great way to just take time out.
- Take a vacation! The late Stephen Covey wrote in his book The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People that a sharp saw cuts wood much quicker and more efficiently when it is sharp and that we must take time to keep the saw sharp. What he was saying is that sometimes we just need to take a break, decompress and re-sharpen ourselves. Once done we are not ready to take on the biggest of forests.
- Prayer, you will find much relief through spending time with God. Take a time in the day when you can talk with Him about your problems and pray that He will provide you with the wisdom, guidance and clarity of thought to help get you through.
I also offer the best in nutritional supplements from JDI INTERNATIONAL. They have introduced a REVOLUTIONARY Vitamin-Mineral Formula with STEM CELL Nutrition!