By Caroline Gavin
Image Copyright 2013 Caroline Gavin www.PurposefulPathway.com
Purposeful Pathway is a haven for faith-based entrepreneurs. Part of my mission is equipping faith-based businesses with information that is practical, actionable and Scriptural.
The theme of this post is trekking trails with triumph!
Ah, I love this time of year. My children and I have been savoring the summer weather. One way in which we have been summer-savoring is by trekking many a scenic trail. It is both enriching and exhilarating to venture to new places, to breathe deep the fresh air and to soak in the new sights!
Yet trekking beautiful trails does not come without challenges. We most certainly encountered some steep climbs and rocky roads. The breathtaking vistas, nonetheless, were worth all of these.
One trail in particular stands out in my mind as an apt metaphor for business – particularly for the Christian creative business. My children and I recently set out for a trail that wrapped around a tranquil lake. It seemed to be an easy and short trail, and we walked rather casually at the onset. Eventually, after having walked quite some time, we realized that we were not even close to the end of the trail; at points we could no longer see the lake, and we wondered if we were even on the trail any longer. Should we keep going? Or turn around to familiar ground?
Thankfully we trekked on. Eventually we saw the lake again…and traveled to even prettier parts of the trail…and, yes, made it victoriously to the end.
Isn’t this circling trail much like our creative businesses? We begin our businesses with an excitement, yet we often begin without realization of the immense commitment. After some time it can seem we are not making much progress or that we will never make it all. In our minds we hear, “Am I even on the right path? Should I turn around altogether?” During these times it is all the more important to heed God’s voice, to cling to His hand, and to keep on trekking.
Below are seven practical yet powerful steps for trekking the business trail with triumph:
1. Embrace the challenge. Realize that running a business is not a casual stroll. Running a business is a hike, and it can be strenuous at times. But the vistas are beyond beautiful and richly rewarding.
2. Study the map and be prepared. Just as one would bring food, water, a map and sturdy walking shoes on a trail, so too one needs to prepare with crystal clear goals and a business plan.
3. Purposefully pause to appreciate the vistas. Just as trails have special scenic points, so too our businesses have memorable milestones. Take time to savor the sights, celebrate the successes, and rejoice in the rewards. Trails exist not simply to be traveled but to be savored.
4. Travel with good company. Traveling trails with my children made the experiences all the richer. Travel your business trails with people whom you admire, respect and love. Not only will you garner more insights but you will also experience deeper joy. “Walk with the wise and become wise, for a companion of fools suffers harm.” (Proverbs 13:20)
5. Expect the unexpected. My children and I found that traveling trails is accompanied by many unexpected things. Unusual animals. Strange twists and turns. Rare wildflowers. Learn to celebrate – rather than dread – the unknown. Embrace the awe-inspiring adventure of following God’s lead! “Trust in the LORD with all your heart; and lean not upon your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will direct your path.” (Proverbs 3:5-6)
6. Seek guidance. Even with the best of maps and the sturdiest of shoes, you may find yourself lost or hurt along the way. Seek wisdom, therefore, from God and from those who have traveled the trail before you.
7. Celebrate Jesus in every joyful step. Jesus is the One who paves our purposeful pathways, and it is a joy to travel our trails with and for Him!
“He holds success in store for the upright,
he is a shield to those whose walk is blameless,
for he guards the course of the just
and protects the way of his faithful ones.
Then you will understand what is right and just
and fair—every good path.” (Proverbs 2:7-9)
I am excited for you as you travel trails for God’s glory!
If you need help with trekking triumphantly your business trails, I would be happy to assist you. A healthy business involves health all around: body, mind and spirit. Join 3D Vitality Biblical Health Coach Ann Musico and me in a powerful journey for transforming your body, your business and your life here.
Let’s pray. Precious Master, He Who Is our Purposeful Pathway, thank You so much for paving paths of beauty. Help us, O Lord, as we trek our business trails. Cling to our hands as we heed Your voice and follow Your steps. Allow us to savor the vistas and to be strong in the climbs. We love you so much, and our hearts sing for You as we take each step. It’s in Jesus’ Name that we pray. Amen.
Caroline Gavinis a Christian Business Coach, Speaker, Author and Radio Host. Having found eternal victory in Christ, she overcame the dark depths of depression and the near-death of an eating disorder. Her joy now is sharing this joy in Jesus. As a Christian Business Coach and the Founder of Purposeful Pathway Business Coaching, she helps faith-based entrepreneurs pave their vocational paths, live with purpose and walk with God’s way. With years of experience in the financial and real estate industries, Caroline blends her passion for God, her financial expertise and her business acumen to create phenomenal results for her clients. She helps them to attract their ideal clients, powerfully package services and systematize efforts so they can enjoy fun, fruitful and profitable businesses. Refresh with her poetry and glean practical wisdom from her Biz Tips at www.PurposefulPathway.com. Connect with Caroline on Google+, Facebook and listen to her shows on Purposeful Pathway Radio. Contact her via email@example.com for a free Christian Business Coaching Consultation. You can also enjoy free resources such as the 7-week transformational Journey to Joy and the21-Day Attract Clients NOW Challenge on the Purposeful Pathway web site.Caroline delights in her purposeful pathway of helping others to pave pathways of purpose, peace and passion for God’s glory!