By Coach Caroline Gavin
Rise Above Resistance
Image courtesy M-Pics at www.freedigitalphotos.net
Purposeful Pathway is the haven for faith-based entrepreneurs. Part of my mission is equipping faith-based businesses with information that is practical, actionable and Scriptural.
The theme of this post is how to rise above resistance!
Have you met up with resistance lately? Congratulations if you have! It has become radiantly evident in my journey and in my clients’ journeys that resistance will meet us when we are growing. The resistance often comes in two broad categories: internal and external. We will experience internal conflicts, as the part of ourselves that wants comfort and complacency will battle with the part of ourselves that is ready to grow for God’s glory. We often will face external resistance too, whether from people or situations. Our growth shifts the balance of things; this shift can be uncomfortable and threatening for others as well as for ourselves. Uncomfortable as these “growing pains” may be, it is important to embrace them as a natural part of the process. It is essential to rise above the resistance and to celebrate it as a God-given gift.
How exactly can we rise above resistance? Let’s look at seven ways:
- Accept Always. Accept at all times that pain is a part of the process of sanctification. “Beloved, do not be surprised at the fiery trial when it comes upon you to test you, as though something strange were happening to you.” (1 Peter 4:12) Peter does not state “if” fiery trials will come, but rather “when.” Acceptance is a gateway to peace in the midst of pain.
- Seek Christ’s Comfort. Resistance provides the wonderful opportunity to rest all the more in God’s arms and to seek His comfort. “Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” (Philippians 4:6-7) Present your prayers to God. Journal your feelings to Him. Write letters of heartfelt supplication. God will surely wrap you in His divine comfort. “Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our affliction, so that we may be able to comfort those who are in any affliction, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God.” (2 Corinthians 1:3-4)
- Recall your Reasons. Recall the reasons why you have made changes. When I have made significant changes in my life, it helped tremendously to review journal entries and prayer logs to remind myself why I did. The reminders refresh the strength to rise above the resistance!
- Give Voice to Virtue. Should others disapprove of or criticize your changes, you can grow all the more in virtue by responding with truth and with grace. “A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger. The tongue of the wise adorns knowledge, but the mouth of the fool gushes folly.” (Proverbs 15:1-2) Resistance provides perfect opportunities to reflect God’s love.
- Eyes on the Prize. “Blessed is the man who remains steadfast under trial, for when he has stood the test he will receive the crown of life, which God has promised to those who love him.” (James 1:12) Keep your eyes on the prize, remembering that God rewards those who seek Him. He is faithful to exchange your cross for a crown if you remain faithful in the resistance.
- Pearls from the Pain. Journal your feelings and revelations in the process. Much we learn in the midst of trial, so be intentional about gleaning from the pain the precious pearls of wisdom. These pearls will serve not only to comfort you in future trials but also to comfort others.
- Grow in God’s Love. Resistance is a remarkable opportunity to grow in God and to grow in God’s love. “But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you…” (Matthew 5:44) Thank God for the opportunities to exercise your faith and to abound in His love.
“Not only that, but we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character, and character produces hope,and hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us.” (Romans 5:3-5)
God is gracious to provide resistance to build our emotional and spiritual muscles just as we use weight resistance to build physical muscle. Welcome the muscle-building opportunities, and delight in the fruit that comes with keeping faith.
If you need help with taking the next best step or with building your business overall, I would be happy to help in this powerful process. A healthy business involves health all around: body, mind and spirit. Join 3D Vitality Biblical Health Coach Ann Musico and me in a powerful journey for transforming your body, your business and your life here.
Let’s Pray: Radiant and Risen Savior, we thank You for the opportunities to rise above resistance. We thank you for Your grace in converting crosses to crowns. We thank You for Your power to turn tears into songs of joy. Help us, Loving Lord, to rise above resistance in order to bring You glory. Tenderly hold our hands every step of this purposeful pathway. Is in Your Name, Jesus Christ, that we pray. Amen.
Caroline Gavinis a Christian Business Coach, Speaker, Author and Radio Host. Having found eternal victory in Christ, she overcame the dark depths of depression and the near-death of an eating disorder. Her joy now is sharing this joy in Jesus. As a Christian Business Coach and the Founder of Purposeful Pathway Business Coaching, she helps faith-based entrepreneurs pave their vocational paths, live with purpose and walk with God’s way. With years of experience in the financial and real estate industries, Caroline blends her passion for God, her financial expertise and her business acumen to create phenomenal results for her clients. She helps them to attract their ideal clients, powerfully package services and systematize efforts so they can enjoy fun, fruitful and profitable businesses. Refresh with her poetry and glean practical wisdom from her Biz Tips at www.PurposefulPathway.com. Connect with Caroline on Google+, Facebook and listen to her shows on Purposeful Pathway Radio. Contact her via email@example.com for a free Christian Business Coaching Consultation. You can also enjoy free resources such as the 7-week transformational Journey to Joy and the21-Day Attract Clients NOW Challenge on the Purposeful Pathway web site. Caroline delights in her purposeful pathway of helping others to pave pathways of purpose, peace and passion for God’s glory!