Health and Food: Eating Can Be Hazardous to Your Child’s Health

chicken nuggetsTwo pieces of news that I wanted to share that I hope will shock and anger you as much as they do me. First there was a recall of Uncle Ben’s Infused Rice mixes because they contain toxic ingredients that caused severe symptoms in people who ate them. The thing that angers me even more about this is that these mixes are sold to public schools! This article gives you the specifics.

The three ingredients mentioned that are most likely responsible for these symptoms were MSG poisoning, arsenic poisoning and toxic levels of synthetic B vitamins. MSG is a flavor enhancer which acts as an excitotoxin which overexcites your cells to the point of damage or death, causing brain damage in varying degrees. It can even trigger or worsen learning disabilities. And this is being served to innocent school children!

Rice naturally contains arsenic and I spoke about ways to reduce the levels in one of my earlier newsletters.  As mentioned in the article, it’s unlikely that additional arsenic has been added so it is most likely one of the other reasons mentioned.  As far as synthetic vitamins, it is always best to use the natural form of any supplement and when foods are processed many times the naturally occurring nutrients are stripped and then synthetic forms are added. Crazy!

There are some brands that tested extremely low and Lundberg is one. I typically find it in my health food store and will make that my preferred brand moving forward!

The second thing I came across this week was this information: only 20% of a chicken nugget is actually meat. Hmmm, so what’s the other 80% made up of?  Well according to a study in the American Journal of Medicine, 60% of the “meat” in a chicken nugget is actually fat, blood vessels, ground bone and gristle. Sounds delicious doesn’t it?

And according to the information on the McDonalds website they also include these “ingredients”:

TBHQ

 Autolyzed Yeast Extract (often contains MSG)

 GMO Corn

 Dimethyl Polysiloxane Anti-foaming Agent

 Hydrogenated Soybean Oil

Sodium

Bleached Wheat (gluten)

Sugar (dextrose)

Especially considering the fact that chicken nuggets are often the favorite food of young children this is alarming beyond words! Why not consider making your own healthier version.

How often do your children eat these foods?

Want to see more articles like this?   Subscribe to this blog (just click on “Follow”) and get each new post delivered to your email or feed reader. When you do, why not sign up for my FREE 7 Days to Feeling Great Challenge? If you have 10 minutes a day you can learn healthier habits in 7 short days! Easy, simple and FREE!

About amusico

I am a holistic health coach and independent nutritional consultant. All my coaching plans are based on my 3-D Living program and a big part of that are the Youngevity Products and Supplements I proudly offer! Visit my website at http://www.threedimensionalvitality.com and learn more about the products and my coaching plans!
This entry was posted in Children's Health, Nutrition and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Health and Food: Eating Can Be Hazardous to Your Child’s Health

  1. Your chicken nuggets sound yummy. It’s sad that kids aren’t getting nutritious food at school. This is why a lot of health conscious Moms make lunch for their kids.

    Have a Victorious Day!
    Marianne
    Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

  2. MSG gives me an instant headache. I had to quit eating at a local Thai restaurant because it is in their sauces. They said the ingredients they use to make their sauces already had it. I’ve found another restaurant that is MSG free. Good food and no headache!

  3. jenhester85 says:

    Ann – I don’t understand why our country allows such gross negligence everyday. Infuriating how profit goes above quality. Thank you for continuing to educate us.

Share your thoughts - what do you think about this?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s