By Coach Caroline Gavin
Image courtesy num skyman at www.freedigitalphotos.net
Purposeful Pathway is the haven for faith-based entrepreneurs. Part of my mission is equipping faith-based businesses with information that is practical, actionable and Scriptural.
The theme of this post is how to balance being with doing!
As entrepreneurs, we often feel a sense of joy and fulfillment when we accomplish task after task…after task after task. True to the name, business can keep us busy. Yet, as important as action is, there is beauty to simply being rather than constantly doing. We accomplish far more when we not only do what we need to do but also be who we need to be. God has called us not only to build His Kingdom but to also be His children. Beautiful is the fruit we reap when we balance being with doing.
How exactly do we balance being with doing in our businesses? Let’s explore five ways:
- Recall. Affirm who you are in Christ. Take delight in your Divine Daddy. Recall who you are by His grace. “So in Christ Jesus you are all children of God through faith…” (Galatians 3:26)
- Remind. Remind yourself frequently of who you are with visual cues. For example, write Bible verses on index cards; use Scripture verse screensavers on your computer; leave a sticky note in your car. Do everything you can to visually remind yourself of your identity in Christ.
- Relax. Take purposeful pauses throughout the day to simply be. This practice has proven to be powerful in my life and in the lives of my clients. Periodically still yourself for five to fifteen minutes in order to feel God’s presence and to hear His voice. Oftentimes we accomplish more in five minutes during quiet time with God than during hours at work. His whispers comfort us, guide us, enlighten us, redirect us and inspire us.
He says, “Be still, and know that I am God;
I will be exalted among the nations,
I will be exalted in the earth.” (Isaiah 46:10)
- Re-assess. Ask God to reveal where you are pushing too hard; then re-assess these areas in your business. Ask “who do I need to be in order to achieve this goal in my business?” rather than solely “what do I need to do in order to achieve this goal in my business?” The Lord will direct you with His perfect wisdom. “For the LORD gives wisdom; from his mouth come knowledge and understanding.” (Proverbs 2:6)
- Release. Release to God areas of struggle and imperfection. “But he said to me, ‘My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.’ Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me.” (2 Corinthians 12:9) Our weaknesses are windows to blessing if we allow them to be through faith and humility. God often works most powerfully through our challenges and shortcomings. Choose to release the struggle and to instead rest in Him. Choose to simply be in Your Beloved’s arms.
Bonus Step: Rejoice! Having traveled these five steps, rejoice in the refreshment, renewal and rejuvenation you find in beautifully balancing “being” with “doing.” Rejoice in the glorious grace, perfect peace and boundless blessings of Jesus. “Clap your hands, all you nations; shout to God with cries of joy.” (Psalm 47:1)
If you need help with taking the next best step or with building your business overall, I would be happy to help in this powerful process. A healthy business involves health all around: body, mind and spirit. Join 3D Vitality Biblical Health Coach Ann Musico and me in a powerful journey for transforming your body, your business and your life here!
Let’s Pray: Our Loving Lord, we thank You for all that You have created us to be for Your glory We praise You for making us Your chosen ones and Your royal priesthood through the blood of Jesus. We rejoice in You for refreshing our hearts with the love You lavish upon us. Help us, Divine Daddy, to balance our being with our doing. Help us to honor You with our businesses and with our lives. We love you with every fiber of our beings, every moment of every day…and it is in Jesus’ Name we pray. Amen.
Caroline Gavinis a Christian Business Coach, Speaker, Author and Radio Host. Having found eternal victory in Christ, she overcame the dark depths of depression and the near-death of an eating disorder. Her joy now is sharing this joy in Jesus. As a Christian Business Coach and the Founder of Purposeful Pathway Business Coaching, she helps faith-based entrepreneurs pave their vocational paths, live with purpose and walk with God’s way. With years of experience in the financial and real estate industries, Caroline blends her passion for God, her financial expertise and her business acumen to create phenomenal results for her clients. She helps them to attract their ideal clients, powerfully package services and systematize efforts so they can enjoy fun, fruitful and profitable businesses. Refresh with her poetry and glean practical wisdom from her Biz Tips at www.PurposefulPathway.com. Connect with Caroline on Google+, Facebook and listen to her shows on Purposeful Pathway Radio. Contact her via firstname.lastname@example.org for a free Christian Business Coaching Consultation. You can also enjoy free resources such as the 7-week transformational Journey to Joy and the21-Day Attract Clients NOW Challenge on the Purposeful Pathway web site. Caroline delights in her purposeful pathway of helping others to pave pathways of purpose, peace and passion for God’s glory!
Oh my!!! I was just talking about this very thing! I so much need to learn to rest and BE. I’m great at doing but I need lots of help in the being realm. Thanks so much for this post!
Have a Victorious Day!
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T
I agree Marianne – I loved this post for the very same reason. So much easier for me to do things than just to be!
Thank you for the wonderful opportunity to share on your inspirational blog, Ann! God bless you, your heart for Him and your purposeful pathway!!
Thank you so very much, Marianne, for your constant encouragement! Once again we think alike: it is easy for me to do but not to rest and BE! I am so glad the post resonated with you, and I pray the Lord continues to bless you as you live for Him! His graces and my gratitude always…
In our work, it can be so easy to get caught up in the theme “If it’s going to be, it’s up to me.”, but as a Christian we know, If it’s going to be, it’s up to God AND me. I can get so busy that I forget to stop and pray about the situations at hand and give those to God and allow Him to work and advise me into the best solution, or simply to work things out for me.
Michael you said it well and that happens to me as well. This post was a great reminder to me as well to stop and pray FIRST!
Thank you so much, Michael, for your encouraging and insightful comment! I agree wholeheartedly: if it’s going to be, it’s up to God and me! Divine power, direction and grace we find when we pause to pray. May the Lord continue to bless you on your purposeful pathway!