By Coach Caroline Gavin
Image courtesy James Barker at www.freedigitalphotos.net
Purposeful Pathway is the haven for faith-based entrepreneurs. Part of my mission is equipping faith-based businesses with information that is practical, actionable and Scriptural.
The theme of this post is finding treasures under your triggers!
Finding beautiful trails, waterfalls and vistas is among my favorite pastimes. Some of the prettiest views accompany some of the most challenging trails, but this is a fun part of the treasure hunt. Yet there is another treasure hunt that I have noticed as of late: finding the treasures hidden under my triggers. Yes, there are gorgeous gems hiding underneath those ugly emotions. Those very things that challenge, unsettle or upset us are valuable tools for uncovering wounds to heal deep below the surface…and to revealing beauty that God has in store for us.
How exactly do we find treasures under triggers? Let’s explore five ways:
1. Care to be aware. Be aware of the fact that you do have triggers. All of us live in a fallen world and have been wounded in many ways. Choose to discover your triggers that you may better understand your innermost pains. The next time you find yourself feeling threatened, uncomfortable, fearful, anxious, unsettled or any other “negative” feeling, decide to dig deeper. Choose to embrace the gift in the learning experience.
2. The task of asking. Once you discover a trigger, ask God what the feeling means. Is the source simply the situation at hand? Or is there more to the story? Commit to asking Christ for clarity, and He will surely reveal answers to you.“If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you.” (James 1:5)
3. Explore some more. Once God reveals to you past wounds, look at the past situations from a space of love. This will require prayer and grace. Choose to forgive the offenders, to embrace the experiences as part of your path, and to release any bitterness or anger. “For if you forgive men when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive men their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins.” (Matthew 6:14-15) The deeper the wound, the more difficult this will be…and the more likely you will need to revisit this. Nonetheless, remember that “with God all things are possible.” (Matthew 19:26)
4. Begin new behaviors. Having uncovered the wound and having forgiven the offenders, choose to see the current “triggering” situation from a new perspective. Likely it will not sting as much; your joy will deepen as you learn more about yourself, others and God. Your heart will expand as you choose to embrace every situation, even painful ones, as treasures. Choose to behave differently when these triggers arise; choose to pause purposefully before reacting; choose to proactively respond with love. “Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is–his good, pleasing and perfect will.” (Romans 12:2)
5. Release and repeat. The more you practice the previous four steps, the more you will releaseyour past hurts and wounds to the Lord. “Cast your cares on the LORD and he will sustain you; he will never let the righteous be shaken.” (Psalm 55:22) That being said, expect this process to continue throughout your life. Repeat the steps and find refreshment for your soul. Both your growth and your joy will be phenomenal when you choose to find the treasures under your triggers.
I encourage you to find the treasures under your triggers to deepen your joy and boost your business. Often our business challenges stem from deep-rooted misaligned beliefs. Finding treasures under triggers is a beautiful, purposeful path to happiness and heavenly blessing.
“Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.” (James 1:2-4)
If you need help with taking the next best step or with building your business overall…I would be happy to help in this powerful process. A healthy business involves health all around: body, mind and spirit. Join 3D Vitality Biblical Health Coach Ann Musico and me in a powerful journey for transforming your body, your business and your life here!
Let’s Pray: Timeless Treasure, Glorious God, we are so thankful for the treasures You reveal to us under our triggers. Truly we are richly blessed by You, and we ask for Your wisdom as we uncover these wonderful gifts. We love you with every fiber of our beings, every moment of every day, every step of the pathway…and it is in Jesus’ Name we pray. Amen
Income. Impact. Inspiration. Pave your Purposeful Pathway.
Take the FREE 21-Day Attract Clients NOW Challenge at www.PurposefulPathway.com
Reflection for Today:
“Your music graces the winds ’round me, Your love sweetens the dance of each tree.” http://ow.ly/oF6Cy ~ Refresh and Rejoice with a Poetic Pause!
The Faith-Based Business Coach
Creator of the 7-Step Live-on-P.U.R.P.O.S.E. Process™
Author of Purposeful Pathway: Your Journey with Jesus
Host of Purposeful Pathway RADIO
Join me on Facebook ~ Follow me on Twitter
Once again I smile for the opportunity to share, Ann! Thank you for the gift of allowing me to guest post; thank you for the treasure of your friendship!!
And once again I smile as I share your insightful words of wisdom. I treasure your friendship as well.
Thank you, my treasured friend, for your timeless blessings! God’s graces and my gratitude always to you, Ann!! 🙂