By Coach Caroline Gavin
Image courtesy nuchylee at freedigitalphotos.net
Purposeful Pathway is a haven for faith-based entrepreneurs. Part of my mission is equipping faith-based businesses with information that is practical, actionable and Scriptural.
The theme of this post is course correction!
Setting crystal clear goals is a powerful practice in our faith-based businesses; in setting goals we delineate the destinations for our journeys. And, in creating the action step plans from these goals, we create our roadmaps – or, as I like to view them, our treasure maps!
Yet, for various reasons, God may have us “course correct” along the way. Although course correction is natural, so often we feel “wrong” for “abandoning” our goals. After all, we set our goals to achieve them, didn’t we?
But let’s look at why course correction is often necessary.
One reason for course correction is that our Omniscient Father has other plans for us; He will therefore nudge us to adjust our overall goals. Another reason may be that we need to better align with His timing. Yet another reason may be that our action steps, as well-planned as they are, are not in perfect alignment with God’s will. This does not suggest that they are morally “wrong” but simply that they are not in course with the “big picture” of His will.
So, as uncomfortable as it may be, course correction is a precious process to embrace!
“The heart of man plans his way, but the Lord establishes his steps.” (Proverbs 16:9)
Let’s move to the practicals of this process. Below are seven steps for recognizing the need for and implementing the process of course correction:
- Red flag of resistance. Encountering constant resistance on our paths is often a sign that course correction is necessary. For example, you set a goal to coordinate a certain convention; yet you discover that nearly every item is falling through (the presenters, the venue, etc.) Sometimes the resistance exists to strengthen fortitude and patience. Sometimes, however, the resistance exists to nudge us in another direction. It is necessary, therefore, to pray for discernment about this distinction. Ask the Lord to shed light on whether or not the resistance is a red flag. Joyfully trust in His love and wisdom. “For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.” (Jeremiah 29:11)
- The gut feeling. As entrepreneurs, we can get so busy in “doing” that we tune out “feeling” and “being.” It is important to heed your feelings, subtle as they may be. They exist for a reason! For example: you may find yourself doing everything according to your thoughtfully laid-out plan, yet you sense now on some level that you should be doing otherwise. Ask the Lord to reveal the source of your feelings and where course correction is necessary.
- Back to the drawing board. Once you are clear that course correction is necessary, it is time to go back to the drawing board. It is time to redraw your treasure map. Ask the Lord to guide you through any revisions in your goals, business plan and daily action steps. The mission of our faith-based businesses is to serve others and glorify Him. “For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them.” (Ephesians 2:20)
- Grow comfortable with the uncomfortable. Changing direction requires energy and focus. Envision a ship changing course. It is not an easy thing to do. It is easier to “go with the flow” of the current course. Expect discomfort in the process; expect also that you may question your course correction. It is important to review the reasons why you decided to course correct. Leaning upon the Lord, reviewing your reasons and conjuring your new vision will provide the necessary fuel to redirect your steps.
- Get help along the way. We do not journey in a vacuum. God created us to be in relationship – with Him and with others. As you course correct and embark upon unchartered territory, seek support from others who have traveled similar terrain. Be proactive in seeking support from godly friends, peers, mentors and coaches.
- Savor success. Document in your journal the details of your course correction: the steps you have changed, the dates you have implemented, and the fruit you have enjoyed. Savoring our course-correction successes enriches the journey and also provides motivation for future course corrections.
- Celebrate Christ. Jesus Christ is the one who paves our purposeful pathways. He is the Director of our course corrections. Let us celebrate our Savior as we savor every step!
I am excited for you as you course correct your purposeful path for Christ!
If you need help with course correcting in your business or with building your business overall…I would be happy to help in this powerful process. A healthy business involves health all around: body, mind and spirit. Join 3D Vitality Biblical Health Coach Ann Musico and me in a powerful journey for transforming your body, your business and your life here!
Let’s pray. Heavenly Father, thank You for loving us with a perfect love. Thank you for nudging us to course correct when necessary. We ask for the grace to hear Your voice and to heed Your call. May our every step be purposeful and aligned with Your Perfect Path. We offer You our lives, our hearts, our minds, our souls. We desire to bring You glory in every step of the way, every moment of every day. It’s in Jesus’ Name that we pray. Amen.
Caroline Gavin is a Christian Business Coach, Speaker, Author and Radio Host. Having found eternal victory in Christ, she overcame the dark depths of depression and the near-death of an eating disorder. Her joy now is sharing this joy in Jesus. As a Christian Business Coach and the Founder of Purposeful Pathway Business Coaching, she helps faith-based entrepreneurs pave their vocational paths, live with purpose and walk with God’s way. With years of experience in the financial and real estate industries, Caroline blends her passion for God, her financial expertise and her business acumen to create phenomenal results for her clients. She helps them to attract their ideal clients, powerfully package services and systematize efforts so they can enjoy fun, fruitful and profitable businesses. Refresh with her poetry and glean practical wisdom from her Biz Tips at www.PurposefulPathway.com. Connect with Caroline on Google+, Facebook and listen to her shows on Purposeful Pathway Radio. Contact her via firstname.lastname@example.org for a free Christian Business Coaching Consultation. You can also enjoy free resources such as the 7-week transformational Journey to Joy and the 21-Day Attract Clients NOW Challenge on the Purposeful Pathway web site. Caroline delights in her purposeful pathway of helping others to pave pathways of purpose, peace and passion for God’s glory!
So grateful for the opportunity to guest post, Ann! You are a blessing to me and to many!
As always, privileged to share your wisdom!