It’s no secret that sugar is a toxic, addictive drug. In last week’s blog I shared research that shows that sugar, not salt, is the culprit in high blood pressure. It’s a fact that sugar raises the dangerous, small, dense cholesterol, not healthy fat. We know too much added sugar is behind not only the obesity epidemic but also the increase in diabetes.
In case you wondered, the average American consumes 130 pounds of added sugars each year, which works out to about 22 teaspoons a day! That’s a lot of added sugars! That is not talking about the sugars that occur naturally in fresh fruits and vegetables or intact whole grains. This is talking about sodas, cookies, candy, cereals and processed foods. Added, processed sugars.
Well here are 7 other dangers of having too much added sugar in your diet:
1. Besides being as addictive as common street drugs, as I alluded to above, sugar causes leptin resistance, which will make you feel insatiably hungry!
2. Of course that insatiable hunger leads to obesity.
3. I’m sure your mom told you growing up that sugar causes cavities and it does.
4. But did you realize it is implicated in liver failure? Fructose is processed in the liver and known to cause fatty liver disease. That’s serious – you only have one liver and you can’t live without it!
5. Did you know some experts call Alzheimer’s “type 3 diabetes?” There is a very strong correlation between excessive sugar consumption and cognitive decline.
6. Sugar, and fructose in particular are a cause of gout, a painful arthritic condition.
7. And if that isn’t enough (and that’s not everything by a long shot) it makes you look old before your time! Sugar is inflammatory and dehydrating and it attaches to protein molecules forming advanced glycation end products, AGEs! And that’s what it does – it ages us!
Which one of these dangers of sugar surprised you the most?
Want to see more articles like this? Subscribe to this blog (just click on “Follow”) and get each new post delivered to your email or feed reader. To follow me and get even more tips on how to live your life in 3-D as well as getting exclusive information on giveaways and special offers, be sure to like me on Facebook, sign up for my FREE weekly No-Nonsense Nutrition Report, follow me on Pinterest and Twitter!
Make gradual changes. Boost health, vitality and energy. Become your best YOU.