By Coach Caroline Gavin
Image courtesy Sura Nualpradid at www.freedigitalphotos.net
Purposeful Pathway is a haven for faith-based entrepreneurs. Part of my mission is equipping faith-based businesses with information that is practical, actionable and Scriptural.
The theme of this post is rejoicing in rejection!
We’ve all been there. Perhaps a book manuscript was turned down. A potential client does not move forward. We are not picked for a project.
There’s no way around it. Rejection happens. And, strong as we may be, rejection can sting. For good reason too: God wired us to want to belong. He designed us to desire love. He created us to crave companionship and community.
Yet our healthy distaste of rejection can turn into an unhealthy discouragement. So how can we flip disfavor to favor? How can we rejoice in rejection?
Here are seven steps to rejoice in rejection in order to boost a faith-based business:
- Accept that rejection happens. No matter how beautiful, kind, godly, gifted and loving you are, rejection will happen. So, when it does happen, remember that it is not personal but rather inevitable. Simple as this step may seem, it is the powerful foundation for rejoicing in rejection.
- Dig deeper. Examine the particular rejection. Could it have stemmed from miscommunication? Misaligned interests? In digging deeper, you can determine the source of the rejection. Very often what we experience as rejection is nothing more than not experiencing a good fit. A pair of shoes can be absolutely beautiful and exquisitely made, yet these shoes will not fit every pair of feet. In digging deeper we uncover the reality…which, more often than not, is not true rejection.
- Look upon the Lord. No one was more rejected than Jesus. “He was despised and rejected by men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief; and as one from whom men hide their faces he was despised, and we esteemed him not.” (Isaiah 53:3) Rejection is a remarkable opportunity to unite your suffering with Jesus’ that you may also know His joy. “The Lord is near to the brokenhearted and saves the crushed in spirit.” (Psalm 34:18) Remember also that, no matter how rejected you may be by man, you are loved limitlessly by God. “For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.” (John 3:16)
- Ask God to reveal the purpose of the rejection. “And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.” (Romans 8:28) If you encounter rejection, it follows that God allowed it for your highest good. Prayerfully request enlightenment regarding the purpose of this rejection. Perhaps it exists to lead you in another direction? To protect you from harm? To heighten your awareness? If God does not reveal the specifics, trust His perfect way to experience peace. “You will keep in perfect peace those whose minds are steadfast, because they trust in you.” (Isaiah 26:3)
- What is the remarkable resolution? Trials are the perfect pruners. “He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful.” (John 15:2) Painful as trials may be, they ultimately produce more fruit for our Father. What can you do to turn your rejection into a remarkable blessing? Can you strengthen your skills? Practice your persistence? Pursue a different venture? Extend your comfort zone? Give glory to God by rejoicing in trial? Be chiseled more into the likeness of Christ? The closing door of rejection is, on the other side, the opening door to new growth and experience.
- Walk with wisdom. With the wisdom gained from step five, move forward to convert the rejection to a remarkable blessing. Document specific action steps, walk them out accordingly and document in your journal the fruit of your labor. “I instruct you in the way of wisdom and lead you along straight paths. When you walk, your steps will not be hampered; when you run, you will not stumble.” (Proverbs 4:11-12)
- Rejoice in rejection. “Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice!” (Philippians 4:4) God commands us to rejoice always. He would not command this if it were not possible. Rejection is a wonderful opportunity to commune more closely with Christ, dig more deeply for answers and to rejoice more radiantly in Jesus! Remember, God not only loves and accepts you, He delights in His relationship with you. So, yes, rejoice in rejection – and, even more so, in your relationship with the Lord!
“Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.” (James 12:4)
If you need help with taking the next best step or with building your business overall, I would be happy to help in this powerful process. A healthy business involves health all around: body, mind and spirit. Join 3D Vitality Biblical Health Coach Ann Musico and me in a powerful journey for transforming your body, your business and your life here…at an incredible introductory price of $27 through January 31st!
Let’s pray. Lord God, You who were rejected and despised by men, thank You for allowing us to rejoice in rejection. Thank You for converting our crosses to crowns. Thank You for transforming our trials to triumphs for Your glory. We choose to rejoice in rejection, Remarkable and Radiant Son, for we know You work all things for our highest good. We love You with all our hearts, souls, minds and strength. It’s in Jesus’ Name that we pray. Amen.
Caroline Gavinis a Christian Business Coach, Speaker, Author and Radio Host. Having found eternal victory in Christ, she overcame the dark depths of depression and the near-death of an eating disorder. Her joy now is sharing this joy in Jesus. As a Christian Business Coach and the Founder of Purposeful Pathway Business Coaching, she helps faith-based entrepreneurs pave their vocational paths, live with purpose and walk with God’s way. With years of experience in the financial and real estate industries, Caroline blends her passion for God, her financial expertise and her business acumen to create phenomenal results for her clients. She helps them to attract their ideal clients, powerfully package services and systematize efforts so they can enjoy fun, fruitful and profitable businesses. Refresh with her poetry and glean practical wisdom from her Biz Tips at www.PurposefulPathway.com. Connect with Caroline on Google+, Facebook and listen to her shows on Purposeful Pathway Radio. Contact her via firstname.lastname@example.org for a free Christian Business Coaching Consultation. You can also enjoy free resources such as the 7-week transformational Journey to Joy and the21-Day Attract Clients NOW Challenge on the Purposeful Pathway web site. Caroline delights in her purposeful pathway of helping others to pave pathways of purpose, peace and passion for God’s gl