By Caroline Gavin
Image courtesy Michelle Meiklejohn at www.freedigitalphotos.net
Purposeful Pathway is a haven for faith-based entrepreneurs. Part of my mission is equipping faith-based businesses with information that is practical, actionable and Scriptural.
The theme of this post is learning by teaching!
Fall is here. The breezes are crisp. The leaves are turning. The children are back in school.
Mmmmm…new beginnings and precious promises seem to energize the air!
This year I am homeschooling my children, and it has been exciting to work through exercises and to explore new things. And, amidst it all, it has grown abundantly clear to me that we learn by teaching!
How can we teach to learn in our faith-based businesses?
1. Open your eyes to teachable moments. In homeschooling, I see more than ever the opportunities to teach my children in “everyday” moments. My eyes are peeled to these precious lessons. As an entrepreneur, make a commitment each day to be aware of teachable moments. “An intelligent heart acquires knowledge, and the ear of the wise seeks knowledge.” (Proverbs 18:15)
2. Expose the “gaps” that they may be filled. Teaching often exposes areas in which our knowledge may be lacking. Yet, rather than shirk from teaching, we embrace it as an opportunity to learn exactly what needs to be learned. When you stumble upon gaps in knowledge, commit to filling them. “If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given him.” (James 1:5)
3. Teach by asking. Whether you are a parent, a teacher, a homeschooler, a coach or a business owner, you often teach most effectively by asking powerful questions. A monologue rarely engages a student as does a conversation. So employ the Socratic method by asking a strategic series of questions; this allows students to connect with answers.
4. Be open to learn from your students. Segueing from the last step, it is important to embrace humility. Therein we learn the best lessons. Our children, our clients and our followers are our teachers if we humbly allow them to be.
5. Prepare. My homeschooling days are far more effective when I plan ahead the curriculum. The plan serves as a map and also provides flow to our day. So too your preparation is priceless as you teach in your entrepreneurial roles. “Prepare your work outside; get everything ready for yourself in the field, and after that build your house.” (Proverbs 24:27)
6. Be flexible. The flipside to the fifth step is being flexible. Preparation is important; yet so too is flexibility. Be open to walking a new path, to taking a new trail and to trying a new experiment.
7. Seek The Teacher in it all. Jesus is The Master, The Rabbi, The Ultimate Teacher. So seek first His Kingdom and His wisdom as you teach and as you learn!
Blessed is the one who finds wisdom,
and the one who gets understanding,
for the gain from her is better than gain from silver
and her profit better than gold.
She is more precious than jewels,
and nothing you desire can compare with her.
Long life is in her right hand;
in her left hand are riches and honor.
Her ways are ways of pleasantness,
and all her paths are peace.
She is a tree of life to those who lay hold of her;
those who hold her fast are called blessed. ~ Proverbs 3:13-18
I am excited for you as you learn from teaching!
If you need help with course correcting in your business, I would be happy to help in this powerful process. A healthy business involves health all around: body, mind and spirit. Join 3D Vitality Biblical Health Coach Ann Musico and me in a powerful journey for transforming your body, your business and your life here.
Let’s pray. Treasured Teacher, thank You for sharing Your wonderful wisdom with us. Help us to be good stewards with the knowledge You give; help us also to lovingly learn as we faithfully guide. We dedicate our businesses to You, and we love You with all our hearts, minds, strength and souls. It’s in Jesus’ Name that we pray. Amen.
I Treasure YourThoughts and Comments!
Caroline Gavinis a Christian Business Coach, Speaker, Author and Radio Host. Having found eternal victory in Christ, she overcame the dark depths of depression and the near-death of an eating disorder. Her joy now is sharing this joy in Jesus. As a Christian Business Coach and the Founder of Purposeful Pathway Business Coaching, she helps faith-based entrepreneurs pave their vocational paths, live with purpose and walk with God’s way. With years of experience in the financial and real estate industries, Caroline blends her passion for God, her financial expertise and her business acumen to create phenomenal results for her clients. She helps them to attract their ideal clients, powerfully package services and systematize efforts so they can enjoy fun, fruitful and profitable businesses. Refresh with her poetry and glean practical wisdom from her Biz Tips at www.PurposefulPathway.com. Connect with Caroline on Google+, Facebook and listen to her shows on Purposeful Pathway Radio. Contact her via firstname.lastname@example.org for a free Christian Business Coaching Consultation. You can also enjoy free resources such as the 7-week transformational Journey to Joy and the21-Day Attract Clients NOW Challenge on the Purposeful Pathway web site.Caroline delights in her purposeful pathway of helping others to pave pathways of purpose, peace and passion for God’s glory!